Equipment and Technical Support

Research support and technical assistance is available for all Materials Science and Engineering labs and equipment. All assistance requests should be directed to

Research Equipment

For departmental research equipment we can help you:

  • Repair existing equipment

  • Modify existing equipment

  • Design new, non-standard equipment

  • Build special, non-standard equipment

  • Specify new equipment and work with OPP to properly support it

We can also help with any problems or modifications to the facilities. We are authorized to contact the proper people and are aware of the correct procedures to get the issue resolved.

Rooms and Labs

Our research support staff can also help with any issues you may have with rooms or labs, including:

  • Heating or cooling problems

  • Problems with fume hoods/ventilation

  • Issues with lights or bulbs

  • Issues with sinks or plumbing

  • Electrical problems

Other Assistance Available

The department and University also provide some materials-specific research support via two for-fee facilities.

Machine Shop

Located in 106 Research Unit A, the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences operates a professional machine shop where custom pieces can be made. 

Glassblowing Shop

A glassblowing shop is provided and run by the Department of Chemistry at Penn State. Located in Whitmore Lab, this is a full service shop capable of fabricating and repairing scientific glassware. Design assistance is available, if needed. Visit the Department of Chemistry Glassblowing Shop page for more details.

User Facilities

The department houses several user facilities featuring specialized equipment available for materials research. For more information about these facilities click here.

Research Support Staff